Back in 1924 the Auckland Diocese decided to create two new parochial districts -
Royal Oak and Mt Roskill. Three years later - on the third of July 1927
the St. John's Church Hall was dedicated.
St. John's has been served by nine vicars over the years -
Rev. Chales Harrison 1925 - 1944
Rev. Ken Braddock 1955 - 1958 - the first full time Vicar and Green Lane Chaplain.
Rev. Raleigh Green 1958 - 1964
Rev. Bil French 1964 - 1973
Rev. Dick Fenton 1973 - 1983
Rev. Dr. Calum Gilmore 1983 - 1996
Rev. Mark Anderson 1997 - 2003
Rev. Mark Sullivan 2003 - 2008
Rev. Judy Vause 2009 - 2016
Rev. Brenda Rockell 2017 -
In 1987 the site of the church was sold and became part of the Royal Oak mall complex.
The church building was moved to its present location with a hall, office, kitchen and toilets
Like every parish St. John's has had its ups and downs but in August 2014
St. John's celebrated its 90 year aniversary and in 2015 is still going strong.